Thursday, October 15, 2009

On Being A Psycho Who Does Psycho Things (Why I Want To Ask Strangers To Hold Hands)

I've got to get on top of my life.  I need to get on this blog, for my grade's sake.  And maybe, actually starting to do some more tasks will help me to feel a little less overwhelmed by everything else.

So, I just decided that tomorrow today I will do Assignment 20 or Assignment 30 from the website/ conceptual art project, Learning To Love You More.  Tomorrow is my heavy class/ work day, but in my 3(!) free hours, I think I can manage to head off of campus and take some pictures.

When I first began looking at Learning To Love You More, and seeing the completed assignments, I marveled at how many people actually participated. The idea of asking strangers to hold hands seemed invasive, but when I really sat down to consider it, perhaps that reaction less about my gut feelings and more about my internalized social mores.  Which is exactly what I am supposed to break here, so I've got to do this.

Still, I am worried.  I don't think anyone will punch me, or even call the cops.  I just don't want people to hurry away as if I am a psycho.  You'd think that someone as eccentric as myself would be comfortable with that.  Someone who wears blue wigs and 5-inch white platform boots out in public.  Someone who dances to the music in the supermarket.  Someone who started a blog like this.  But there's still a part of me that hurts a little when someone looks at me with that mix of scorn and fear.  And perhaps part of the reason I created this blog is because it can explain and justify to others the strange things I already do.

Enough analysis though.  In a few hours, I will post up some pictures of strangers holding other stranger's hands and of two unfamiliar families.

1 comment:

  1. Super meta-post.

    That wasn't that hard, was it? What's with the punching? Is that one of the projects? Wow.

    ReplyDelete